Thursday, June 5, 2008

the bean's first photo op

After almost having a mental breakdown and crying uncontrollably because my hair wasn't looking good and the flat iron wouldn't work right - which I contained only because I kept reminding myself that my makeup looked good - (gotta love those pregnancy hormones!) we had a very good day at the dr's office. Kari, please forgive me, I know that sentence is wrong in everyway possible, but it gets the point across and it's late ;)

Jeremy went with me and we were so excited about the ultrasound. I know he was happy, and so was I, but I sorta knew what to expect, he didn't.
After he kept mentioning that the wait was taking too long and he had an appt scheduled for that afternoon and didn't know if he would be able to stay for the whole appt, I gave him that "if-you-leave-me-here-and-miss-the-u/s" glare, he decided it was in his best interest to stay =) Seriously, if he would have left, I would have sat there and cried and cried, it would have been embarassing.

But the appt was wonderful and he was glad he stayed. And truly, the thing is, is that he didn't tell his boss what he was doing. If he would have called her and explained everything she would have no doubt rescheduled the meeting for later. Thankfully, he was able to leave just in time to make everything.

When my dr tried to find the heartbeat, I was nervous. He wasn't getting it. I thought oh, no, I made it this far and now what?!? He moved the doppler around and around, I just closed my eyes. Finally, after what seemed like 10 minutes (it wasn't nearly that long) he picked up a heartbeat. It was music to my ears. I said you had a hard time, he replied, well, I knew the baby was moving so there had to be a heartbeat because all I picked up was the water slushing around, that baby is active! He turned on the u/s machine and stressed several times, WE DON'T WANT TO KNOW!!!, he was perfect with it. He looked around and took lots of pictures and measurements. Tears welled up in my eyes, that was my baby and it was perfect. It has the most perfect round head and it's tiny little arms were waving at me, my little star even gave me a 'high-five', it was perfect. And the baby was so good during the ultrasound. We discussed that this was it's first time to show momma and daddy how well-behaved it was and how good it would be at picture taking! Everything looked great. My baby is skinny he said, but looked healthy. It's about 10 - 12 inches long and weighs about 9 ounces. The nurse said, that IS little, but that's okay. I was a little baby, so, I don't expect to be popping out a 9 pounder!

We tried to get a 3-d shot but my placenta was in the way of the face. Maybe we'll try again in 6 weeks or so.

The most spectacular part of the whole thing was Jeremy. I have been attached to this baby in everyway possible, literally!, since day 1. But Jeremy not so much. I know it has everything to do with the fact that he can't feel the baby, I can, he doesn't go through the hormonal and physical changes, I do, and besides hearing the heartbeat one time, that's about all the 'attachment' he was had with the baby. And it's completely understandable if not normal. And that is really why I wanted him at the u/s. Yes, I would have pictures, but it's not near the same as watching the baby move around on the screen. Jeremy said it was amazing. He felt like it was for real, we are parents, and we are having a baby.
Tonight we looked at the pictures again on the computer, and he said it's just amazing. Amazing that that is growing inside you. That my little microscopic sperm and your itty bitty egg could create that, a real, live, moving human. It's just stunning.

I am so thankful to God for this miracle. I'm forever greatful.

"Don't believe in miracles - depend on them."
Laurence J. Peter


eta: I've gained 2 lbs, a total of 4 lbs

0 comments:

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP