Wednesday, May 21, 2008

I am more than ashamed of myself. Two weeks have flown by and SO much has happened in my life, and yet no blog to prove it! I did FINALLY finish the post I started over a week ago and published it. I must say that I'm definiately finding a few more things to wear and I'm enjoying the process much more now!

I had so much to write down about and now I'm drawing a blank on where to start. Mother's Day, it was, er, uh, different. People were telling ME 'Happy Mother's Day'. That was weird! The holiday has never been about me, EVER. So, obviously the thoughts started rolling in, on when does one become a mother?!? I googled mother on dictionary.com and here is a list of meanings for the word mother:

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
moth·er1 Audio Help /ˈmʌðər/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[muhth-er] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. a female parent.
2. (often initial capital letter) one's female parent.
3. a mother-in-law, stepmother, or adoptive mother.
4. a term of address for a female parent or a woman having or regarded as having the status, function, or authority of a female parent.
5. a term of familiar address for an old or elderly woman.
6. mother superior.
7. a woman exercising control, influence, or authority like that of a mother: to be a mother to someone.
8. the qualities characteristic of a mother, as maternal affection: It is the mother in her showing itself.
9. something or someone that gives rise to or exercises protecting care over something else; origin or source.
10. (in disc recording) a mold from which stampers are made.
–adjective
11. being a mother: a mother bird.
12. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a mother: mother love.
13. derived from or as if from one's mother; native: his mother culture.
14. bearing a relation like that of a mother, as in being the origin, source, or protector: the mother company and its affiliates; the mother computer and its network of terminals.
–verb (used with object)
15. to be the mother of; give origin or rise to.
16. to acknowledge oneself the author of; assume as one's own.
17. to care for or protect like a mother; act maternally toward.
–verb (used without object)
18. to perform the tasks or duties of a female parent; act maternally: a woman with a need to mother.
—Idiom
19. mother of all, the greatest or most notable example of: the mother of all mystery novels.


Out of the 19 definitions of the word mother, I don't feel that they describe me in any way. Before I get much deeper in my thoughts concerning this subject, I should probably preface this boldly by saying that I am extrememly pro-life and believe that life does begin in the womb, as a real, live, living, soul and person. But what does that mean to me and being a mother. I like the definition of 9. something or someone that gives rise to or exercises protecting care over something else; origin or source. I'm the origin and source of this life. I am exercising protected care over something (someone) else. I embraced the day with vigor and vitality. While it was unusual attention, and something I'm not used to all, it was nice. Those around me noticed that I'm a mother. I am protecting, nourishing, and caring for a life. And while that life can't be seen from the outside world, I am aware everyday of the life within me. I love the name, a proudly adorn the title, mother.



“The child must know that he is a miracle, that since the beginning of the world there hasn't been, and until the end of the world there will not be, another child like him.”
-Pablo Casals

0 comments:

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP