Saturday, March 7, 2009

a universal struggle

I don't have time for much, but I made time for this. Ah, the pioneer woman...she tells it like it is, I love her for that. This post is perfect.



Living in the country has been so helpful to me as I’ve trudged through pregnancies, births, and periods of nursing all four of my children. It helps me realize that as members of the female species, our struggles are universal. When I’m heavily pregnant in the final months of carrying my babies, I see the enormous mama cows carrying around 100-pound calves in their bodies and it helps me not feel so bad about my plight. And when we wean ther calves from their mamas and watch the mama cows walk the fenceline and bawl because they can’t get to their babies, I feel that horrible tug and my throat swells empathetically. I know how strong the bond is between a mother and her baby; I’ll probably bawl, too, when my first child goes to college. And when I see a mama cow in the pasture moments after she’s given birth and her placenta and other membranes are still hanging from her body, I totally…
Never mind. I care too much about the handful of males that read this site this to go any farther.
Back to country life. Back to the animals.
I wish I’d had Hooker, Cowboy Josh’s dog, around when I was breastfeeding my babies. Because if I’d taken one look at her, I would have felt a little less shackled by the fact that I was providing the sole nutrition for another human being. I would have felt a little better about not being able to get anything done because I have this THING permanently attached to my bosom.
I would have felt a heck of a lot less engorged.
Here. I’ll show you what I mean.
(Note: Hooker is a stray that Cowboy Josh adopted, and he intends to have her spayed as soon as the puppies are weaned. Her scars and war injuries indicate a rough past, but rest assured she’s now cared for and loved.)


Hooker’s such a good mama. But sometimes she just has to get away and have a moment to herself.


The puppies don’t really grasp that concept.



They don’t care if their mama is standing up, lying down, or doing the Cha-Cha. If they want to eat, they find a way to make it happen.


Oh my GRACIOUS, but these babies are cute.



If Hooker goes into the barn…the puppies go in right after her.

You know, this reminds me that when my siblings and I were little, my own mom used to go into her room to try to take a short nap from time to time. She lock her door, and we’d pick it with a hanger and go hop on her bed.

My poor mother. I now understand all she went through.

Mom? I’m sorry I picked your lock when you were trying to sleep.

Is that why you only call me four times a week now instead of five? I hope you can forgive me one day.


“Hey, Mom! Hey Mom! Mom? Mom? Where ya goin’, Mom? Mom? Mom?”

Mom?


Poor, sweet Hooker



She just can't catch a break


But at least she’s learned the most important thing about giving birth to babies, whether it’s one or two or six:


The moment you have a child...


Your life is never, ever your own again.


So you might as well just lay back...


Submit...


And enjoy the ride.

0 comments:

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP